- Unit: Theme and Genre Study
- Text: Various short stories in the following
genres: Science fiction, fantasy, realistic fiction, fairy tales; poetry
that shares a common theme with stories that we read.
- Projects: Students will work in small groups
to research, create an example of, and present a genre that is focused
around a common theme.
- Unit: Greek and Roman mythology (in
conjunction with social studies curriculum)
- Text: The Adventures of Ulysses, various myths and folk tales
- Projects: Students will choose a god
or goddess to research and we will make portraits of the gods. We will
hold an “Election of the gods” in which students write and deliver a
speech in an attempt to be elected the new ruler of Olympus.
- Unit: Preparation for the 2010 English Language Arts MCAS
and independent reading projects
- Text: Student chosen novels
- Projects: Various student selected projects
- Unit: Utopias and Dystopias
- Text: The Giver, various
- Projects: Students will write an
analytic literary essay.
- Unit: Literature of the Holocaust
(in conjunction with social studies curriculum)
- Text: Excerpts from various works of
- Projects: Students will create
poetry and artwork for the middle school Living History Museum.